HM Coastguard safety advise for disposing of BBQs on the beach

Copyright Ruth Jenkins
WARNING SOME OF THESE IMAGES ARE GRAPHIC
BURN SAFETY AWARENESS AT THE BEACH
HM Coastguard is advising members of the public to be very careful when clearing up their disposable BBQs on the beach. The sand retains heat from these BBQs and only a few weeks this lady sustained significant injuries when stepping onto sand underneath where the BBQ had been 4 hours AFTER the BBQ had been put out. It's the hot sand that caused these injuries NOT the BBQ.
At this particular incident Oxwich Coastguard Rescue Team were able to administer first aid at the scene and help the lady from the beach to get further treatment. Seeing these photos, we really felt it necessary to put out a warning especially with more hot weather forecast and school holidays approaching.
So the message here is to be careful when clearing up at the beach and always watch where your little ones may be walking if you've been having a BBQ at the beach.
If you see anyone in difficulty don't hesitate to call 999 and ask for the Coastguard. 



For more on this story please visit www.facebook.com/MCA





Popular posts from this blog

Dad recalls moment he 'could have lost one or more' of his kids when paddleboarding trip went wrong

Fisherman survives overboard ordeal with personal locator beacon lighting the way for the coastguard rescue

Hunterston Terminal incident update