WORKING THIS CHRISTMAS? SO ARE WE

As many settle down to tackle that turkey lunch tomorrow, spare a thought for the people working this Christmas.

This includes Coastguards in our operational centres around the UK, volunteer Coastguard Rescue Officers with their pagers close at hand, plus the on-call MCA surveyors, counter pollution and enforcement officers who may need to make a move within a moment’s notice.

For some of the Coastguards working at the new National Maritime Operations Centre (NMOC), this will be their first Christmas on duty. From those doing the night shift through Christmas Eve into Christmas Day, to those doing the 12 hour shift on Christmas Day itself, there will always be someone there to answer 999 calls and mayday broadcasts.


Janis May is a Maritime Operations Officer at the NMOC in Fareham. This is her first year with the Coastguard and she’s working the day shift tomorrow. She says:



“As a Coastguard, to think that I may be able to help someone in difficulty and ensure they return safely home to their friends and family, gives me an incredible sense of achievement. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed my time so far as a Coastguard and I don’t mind working on Christmas Day – I’m sure we’ll be getting into the festive spirit no matter what.”

Janis is leaving her husband home alone to work her shift at the NMOC. But he too may also end up working. Simon May is an Enforcement Officer with the Maritime and Coastguard Agency, and he’s on call this Christmas. He says:


“As an Enforcement Officer, you never know when you’re going to get called. I sometimes have to drop everything and go to where I’m needed to start an investigation. Work dependent, while Janis is at the NMOC, I’ll be busy preparing her meal for when she gets home.”


Last year, Coastguards across the UK dealt with 543 search and rescue incidents over the Christmas and New Year period (20 December 2013 – 2 January 2014). Call-outs ranged from people stuck in mud, walkers cut off by the tide, dogs over cliffs to broken down boats.


Should there be an emergency at the coast, one rescue resource often called into action is the Coastguard Rescue Teams. There are 347 of these teams in the UK, made up of more than 3,200 volunteers. They respond in all weathers, at any time, day or night.


Kevin Paterson is a Coastguard Rescue Officer with the Ardrossan team. Like his fellow volunteers around the UK, he’ll be keeping his pager close by this Christmas. He says:


"My pager goes everywhere with me and that doesn't change because it's Christmas. My pager will still be on my belt whether I'm delivering presents to nearby relatives or helping in the kitchen with the turkey and brussel sprouts.


"I've had to leave my family before on Christmas Day and I dare say I will again in the future but they're very understanding. It's a big commitment being part of a Coastguard Rescue Team but when the call comes, we will always go regardless of the time or the weather, because someone needs our help.


"It's what we do - it's what we signed up for."


All of us at the Maritime and Coastguard Agency would like to take this opportunity to wish everyone a fun and safe Christmas. Remember though, if you do get into difficulty or see someone else in trouble, call 999 and ask for the Coastguard.














Popular posts from this blog

Label your kit at the coast

A short history of HM Coastguard

BOSCASTLE FLOODS: TEN YEARS ON