HM Coastguard prepares for Remembrance Sunday parade

HM Coastguard will today (Sunday 13 November) take part in the annual Remembrance Sunday parade, with a contingent of 10 marching past the Cenotaph.

It will be the first time the Coastguard will join the Civilian Services Contingent (CSC), having previously marched with the Royal Navy.

A group of 10 from all over the organisation and country have taken part in two days training in preparation for the formal march, when the officers will parade past the Cenotaph.



HM Coastguard’s ceremonial lead Dayle Jones, an Operational Support Officer based in Belfast, and Coastguard Rescue Officer Kevin Moran each year organise and train a contingent from around the coast and from all aspects of the organisation to take part in the national act of remembrance in November.

Coastal Operations Area Commander for west Scotland, David Graham, was also selected to represent HM Coastguard at the Field of Remembrance at Westminster Abbey on Friday.

Dayle said it is ‘always an honour to be selected to take part’, with this year also the first time the Coastguard will parade in full formal uniform rather than the greatcoats of previous years.

Some of the team sent in their thoughts about the deep significance of being selected, as they trained in preparation.

Reggie Gough, Coastguard Emergency Responder Casualty Care National Lead, said:

“Being chosen is truly an honour and a privilege. This opportunity will afford me the chance to pay my respects, primarily, to those members of my immediate family who actively saw service in both World Wars.

“But, of course, to honour the memory of the men and women of our Armed Forces, Merchant Navy and HM Coastguard who have fought, and died, for our collective freedom.”

Bleddyn Evans, Station Officer at New Quay Coastguard Rescue Team, said:

“The Remembrance Service for me is a time of reflection and gratitude for the sacrifices of the members of our small community who served and defended our values and freedom.

“I feel immense pride to have been chosen to represent the HM Coastguard at this year’s National Service of Remembrance and being given an opportunity to pay tribute to the fallen, from communities large and small, to ensure that their sacrifices are not forgotten.

“Byddwn yn eu cofio.”

Julie Harris, Maritime Operations Officer at the Joint Rescue Coordination Centre (JRCC), said:

“I am honoured and excited to represent the Coastguard at the Remembrance Parade as many members of my family have served over the years.”

Jackie James, Coastguard Rescue Officer at Cromer, North Norfolk, said:

“Remembrance Sunday has always been important to me. As a child I helped my dad, our local RBL Poppy Organiser, put poppies together and into their boxes.

“He taught me the meaning of the poppy and the importance of remembrance, and I have attended a Remembrance Service every year, with the last six years representing HM Coastguard with my Cromer colleagues.

“This truly is an opportunity of a lifetime for me to pay my respects and represent all my colleagues at the cenotaph. I will also be remembering my dad and his lifelong dedication to the Poppy Appeal.”

Amanda Crofts, Senior Maritime Operations Officer at the JRCC, said:

“My previous careers were serving in the Royal Navy and working for the MOD. So, Remembrance means a lot to me being ex-forces.

“And being chosen to represent HM Coastguard is a huge honour, I have no doubt it will be a very emotional occasion. I couldn’t be prouder!”

Bill Nixon, Station Officer at Newcastle Northern Coastguard Rescue Team, said:

“It is a tremendous honour for myself and my family and coastguard colleagues alike.

“My family have a long history of serving our country, which has led to a few sadly having lost their lives.

“This year’s National Remembrance Service will give me the opportunity to remember them and also a chance to pay respect to all that gave their lives for the freedom we enjoy today.”

Steve McNally, JRCC Commander (Aeronautical), said:

“I am immensely proud to be chosen to be part of the team representing HM Coastguard at this year’s Cenotaph. It is still a huge honour in my third year.

“I served in the military and grew up in Northern Ireland during the ‘Troubles’, I know what harm violence does.

“I march with immense pride for their memories and what they gave for my freedom.”

Mick Allwood, Station Officer at Canvey Island Coastguard Rescue Team, said:

“Retirement is looming in 2023 and I couldn’t have asked for a better way to finish off my career as a volunteer coastguard officer.

“It is a real privilege and honour to be selected for such a prestigious and meaningful event, I am truly grateful to the Maritime and Coastguard Agency for this opportunity.”

And, finally...

David Graham, Coastal Operations Area Commander for Argyll & the Islands on the west of Scotland, said:

“I have served the crown for most of my adult life, having spent 16 years in the military, and now nine years in HM Coastguard.

“Remembrance is a really important time of year for me to reflect on my own experiences and to take time out to think about those that have gone before me.

“I am very proud to have been chosen to represent HM Coastguard at the Field of Remembrance this year, it is an experience that will stay with me for many years to come.” 

Popular posts from this blog

Label your kit at the coast

A short history of HM Coastguard

Emergency Radio Procedures: Does your fishing crew know what to do?