Dangerous sea conditions predicted on the South West coast
The South West coast is set for a bit of a battering over the next couple of days, with dangerous sea conditions involving large swells, strong winds and spring tides expected.
Along with the RNLI, we’re urging people to take extra care tomorrow and on Saturday. Wave heights across exposed coastal areas in Devon and Cornwall could reach up to 9 feet which, coupled with predicted strong westerly winds and large spring tides, could increase the risk of strong rip currents.
Avoid heading to the coast in affected areas but if you do go out remember:
- Check tide times before you set off
- Choose a lifeguarded beach
- Carry a fully-charged mobile phone
- If you get caught in a rip current swim parallel to the shore until free of the rip and then head for the shore. Raise your hand and shout for help
- If you see anyone in trouble, call 999 and ask for the Coastguard