Three children rescued from cave after being cut off by tide

Three children, who were cut off by the tide in a sea cave this afternoon, had a lucky escape after one of them called 999.


The 12-year-old boy, and two girls aged 11 and 12 had been playing in the Eye Cave at Dunbar when they noticed that the tide had come in and trapped them. The boy called 999 and  was routed through to the Police who then relayed the information through to the Coastguard.


The Coastguard requested the Dunbar Inshore lifeboat to launch and two Coastguard rescue teams from Dunbar and North Berwick were sent to the scene. As the teams arrived on scene, the sea was coming into the cave and the children were up to their ankles in water. The lifeboat rescued the three children and brought them to shore where they were reunited with their parents.


“Once we received the call, we were able to get rescue resources on scene very quickly so I am pleased to report that other than being a bit shaken and having wet feet, the children ere unharmed by their ordeal, says HM Coastguard’s Jonathan Mustard. “The boy did just the right thing by calling 999, although we would have received the information even more quickly and more directly if he had also asked for the Coastguard when he spoke to the operator.


“Remember if you are setting out for a walk along the coast, always check the tide times and ensure that you leave plenty of time to get back before the tide comes in. Sea caves are great places to explore, but if you don’t leave enough time to get out they can be deadly, so please do be especially careful when you visit them. As winter marches on the weather is becoming increasingly unpredictable so if you are venturing out make sure that you check weather conditions and stay away from rough seas and slippery cliff edges.”

Popular posts from this blog

Dad recalls moment he 'could have lost one or more' of his kids when paddleboarding trip went wrong

Fisherman survives overboard ordeal with personal locator beacon lighting the way for the coastguard rescue

Hunterston Terminal incident update