Lifejacket-wearing fisherman rescued from the sea

A fisherman wearing a lifejacket has been rescued by the Summerleaze RNLI lifeguards after jumping into the sea when his 6.2 metre vessel caught fire earlier today.

At about 12.00pm today the UK Coastguard received multiple 999 calls from members of the public reporting a vessel on fire off the coast of Bude, Cornwall.  The UK Coastguard immediately issued a Mayday relay broadcast in the area requesting assistance from other vessels in the area.

The fisherman went into the water but was wearing a lifejacket.  Summerleaze RNLI lifeguards raced out to sea on a jet ski to pick up the fisherman from the water.  He was transferred to a nearby fishing vessel and is now being brought to shore where he will be met by the Bude Coastguard Rescue Team.  Cornwall Fire Service are also on scene.  The fisherman required no medical assistance.

Bude and Padstow RNLI lifeboats have been sent to the burning vessel to monitor the situation.

James Instance, Duty Controller for UK Coastguard said:  ‘This fisherman was wearing a lifejacket, which no doubt aided his survival and enabled the lifeguards to find him quickly.  By taking this simple safety precaution, it meant that when he fell into the water his survival time increased significantly.  He was also able to raise the alarm on the VHF radio.

‘If you’re going out on the water, make sure that you take a good method of communication with you. On a boat a VHF DSC radio is ideal, and a mobile phone in a sealed plastic bag is a good back up. Call 999 and ask for the coastguard in an emergency at sea. And of course wear your lifejacket. This could have been a very different outcome today had he not been wearing his lifejacket and we commend his actions, which have assisted in saving his life.’ 

Popular posts from this blog

Dad recalls moment he 'could have lost one or more' of his kids when paddleboarding trip went wrong

Fisherman survives overboard ordeal with personal locator beacon lighting the way for the coastguard rescue

Hunterston Terminal incident update