My dad and me: ‘Being a Coastguard’


Adam and Ross Mainprize are part of the Bridlington Coastguard Rescue Team. Here they tell us about what it’s like to be a father and son on a Coastguard Rescue Team.


Adam: ‘Being a father and son on a Coastguard Rescue Team is great’


“I love the outdoors; getting out and about, helping people, and having the opportunity to be more practical.  Joining a coastguard rescue team is the best thing that I ever did.  It’s really helped me to develop as an individual and learn new skills.


When I first started out with the team and I was out on the cliff top on an exercise Ross used to turn up on his moped to watch. So it was no surprise that when he was old enough he decided to join up too. It’s been great to watch him grow into the young man that he is today. He’s a really active member of the team and is always putting himself forward for Coastguard tasks.




Ross had only been part of the team for about a month when we went to the Lions Carnival to man a Coastguard Stand. Whilst we were there a 3 year old child, wearing Hello Kitty pink trainers, went missing. Within 30 seconds Ross had located her. He’d spotted her pink trainers by the Bouncy Castle – of course she’d sneaked on and was getting a free go! I knew then that Ross would make a superb Coastguard with his brilliant observational skills.


Being a father and son on a Coastguard Rescue Team is great. We get to spend quality time together doing something that we both really enjoy.”


Ross: ‘I get to hang out with my Dad whilst doing something really worthwhile.’


“When Dad used to go out on a shout I’d get a real buzz from it too. I used to turn up to exercises that the team ran on Sundays and watch him going over the cliff. So when I passed my driving test I decided that it was time to become a Coastguard Rescue Officer. Five months ago I passed my rope operator qualification and I’m now a full member of the team; my strength is water rescues, due to my experience as a lifeguard.


Whilst we’re working with the team, Dad and I have a more professional relationship than at home. We’re there to get the job done, but there’s still plenty of banter and we make the time to have a laugh.


A few months ago Dad and I had to attend the scene of a helicopter crash. Dad was the Rope Technician and had to go over a cliff with a sheer 200 metre drop. It was pretty scary, but also impressive – I had plenty of confidence in Dad and in the equipment.


Being a Coastguard Rescue Officer on my dad’s team is great. I get to hang out with my dad whilst doing something really worthwhile.


Happy Fathers’ Day Dad!”


And Happy Fathers’ Day to all dads in our Coastguard Rescue Teams around the UK.

Popular posts from this blog

Label your kit at the coast

A short history of HM Coastguard

BOSCASTLE FLOODS: TEN YEARS ON