SUCCESS FOR MCA IN NEW YEAR HONOURS LIST

The Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) is celebrating after four of its team received awards in the New Year Honours list.

Malcolm Wright is a Coastguard Watch Officer at Portland Maritime Rescue Coordination Centre (MRCC) and also a Coastguard Rescue Officer. He receives a MBE for more than 40 years of service to Her Majesty’s Coastguard.

Malcolm, who lives in Weymouth, Dorset, said: "I am extremely proud and sincerely humbled to receive this award. I joined Her Majesty’s Coastguard in 1973, serving as a member of the Wyke Regis Coastguard Rescue Team and more recently as a full-time officer at Portland MRCC.

"I hope my personal recognition is also considered as a reflection of the commitment and calibre of all my Coastguard colleagues with whom I’ve had the great privilege of working alongside during my service.”

Rebecca Binstead is the UK Search and Rescue Manager based at the MCA’s headquarters in Southampton. She is recognised with a BEM for her work in supporting Coastguard operations and the wider maritime search and rescue community. She has been with the MCA for more than 20 years.

Rebecca, who lives in Fair Oak, Hampshire, said: "I am delighted and extremely proud to receive this award. It is a great honour for me, but also a reflection of the tremendous work of all the staff and volunteers involved with the Maritime and Coastguard Agency and the wider volunteer search and rescue communities of mountains, cave and lowland."

Bob Francis has given more than 30 years of commitment as a Coastguard Rescue Officer in Norfolk. He is the Station Officer with the Mundesley Coastguard Rescue Team, leading his fellow volunteers to carry out rescue missions in all weathers and often at unsocial hours. He’s been awarded with a BEM.

Bob, who lives in Paston, Norfolk, said: "I consider it a great honour to receive this award in recognition of my work with the Coastguard Rescue Service. I receive it on behalf of my team, colleagues and all volunteers who give so much to make the Coastguard Rescue Service such a success."

Vivien MacKenzie is an Administrative Officer at Stornoway and is recognised with a BEM for her support with fishing safety. She has worked for the MCA for more than 20 years and in that time has built up strong relationships within the industry.

Vivien, who lives in Stornoway, said: "I am honoured and delighted to receive this award in recognition of my role within the Maritime and Coastguard Agency team at Stornoway, supporting the under 15 metre fishing vessel safety inspection regime throughout Scotland and Northern Ireland."

ENDS

Notes to Editors

Pictures of the four are available from the MCA Image Library: https://mcanet.mcga.gov.uk/press/album220
Follow us on Twitter. Find us at MCA_media.

Popular posts from this blog

Label your kit at the coast

A short history of HM Coastguard

BOSCASTLE FLOODS: TEN YEARS ON